Position: Captain, S/V Denis Sullivan
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Schedule: Full-Time, Year-Round, Evenings and Weekends Required
Captain of the S/V Denis Sullivan, the world's only re-creation of a 19th-century three-masted Great Lakes schooner, must be able to demonstrate leadership, excellent sailing skills, and experience running the deck and managing the crew of a Tall Ship. The Captain ultimately is responsible for all operations pertaining to the vessel. This year-round position is charged with leading all aspects of the marine operation to ensure the long-term sustainability of the vessel. The Captain is also an integral part of the broader Discovery World team with significant input into the programming and integration of the S/V Denis Sullivan with the overall mission of Discovery World. The Captain will be accountable to the CEO, including guidance and direction provided by the CEO.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure all vessel structure is sound, equipment is functional, vessel aesthetic is maintained to a high level, and procedures are in place for safe navigation.
- Ensure all marine operations and activities are carried out in a safe manner, and that all safety equipment and procedures are in place, operational, and up to code.
- With support of the Human Resource Generalist, recruit, hire, train, and evaluate vessel staff.
- With support from the Volunteer and Training Manager, train, supervise, and direct volunteer teams to support the maintenance and operation of the vessel.
- Train vessel staff and volunteers in all emergency and safety procedures.
- In collaboration with the CFO, and COO, establish, track, and maintain marine operation annual budget including detailed expense documentation, purchase order facilitation, and accurate receipts inventory.
- Establish and maintain year-round calendar of operation including, but not limited to, vessel maintenance, staffing, sailing season prep, program/experience execution, inspections, and a detailed off season work schedule.
- With approval from the CEO and COO, evaluates and implements changes or improvements to vessel operational procedure.
- Ensure that marine staff and volunteers contribute to a positive image of Discovery World.
- Serve as lead point of contact for paid public experiences coordination and execution.
- Lead communication and coordination with government agencies including but not limited to, US Coast Guard, American Bureau of Shipping, and the Port of Milwaukee.
- Ensure the vessel meets or exceeds all USCG-required tests/inspections for safety and seaworthiness.
- Adheres to Discovery World organizational policies and procedures as outlined in the employee manual.